La denominación para una forma de entender la vida
Taking a cue from the essence of its etymology, the production area of Somontano covers the land “at the foot of the mountain”, on the plains of the Pyrenees in the province of Huesca, in the county that gives it its name.
The production area of the Somontano Designation of Origin is made up of three different zones: the ranges, the Somontano itself, and the plains. Its total area covers over 200,000 hectares, of which 100,000 are cultivated, and over 4,400 hectares of these with vineyards.
According to documents, in 500 BC grapevines were already being cultivated in the Ebro valley and in the 2nd century BC significant wine production was already underway in this area. One factor that has influenced the development of the cultivation of grapes and their sale was the settling of romans in the Somontano. They brought with them advanced grape producing and winemaking techniques.
In the middle ages, the cultivation of vineyards expanded to cover the entire province of Huesca. At the time, monasteries were an influential factor in the development of vineyards and were responsible for a marked increase in the planting of grapevines in their surroundings: wine, as a part of catholic rituals, was an essential product.
In the 19th century, the attack of phylloxera in French vineyards gave rise to an increase in wine production, sales, and exports in the county. And, during that century, the production of wine in Huesca was increasingly limited to the Somontano, thanks to the area’s specialization in production and the high quality of its wines.
In the 20th century, specifically in the 1960’s, the birth of the Somontano county cooperative of Sobrarbe, which brought together a large part of the grape producers in the region, paid testimony to the area’s commitment to quality grape production as an economic impetus in the area and represented the first steps towards the Somontano designation of origin, which would be approved in 1984. From that time, and especially since the 1990’s, the establishment of large business projects with sizable investments in the Somontano has placed Somontano wines among the best in the country.
Today, Somontano is seeing a historical time marked by the arrival of new wineries, the investment of capital, growth of production and sales, and recognition for the quality of its wines in some of the most prestigious specialized guidebooks and by the consumers themselves.
Its success is a consequence of all of this and of a joint effort by the grape producers, wineries and the regulatory council to offer wine lovers a unique, distinct product in which the land is more than an essential component, but also a first-rate tourist destination in itself.
The Somontano Designation of Origin has 15 grape varieties, both local and foreign, cultivated on over 4,000 hectares. These are the raw material from which excellent wines are made:
Cabernet-sauvignon, Tempranillo, Red Grenache, Moristel, Merlot, Syrah, Parraleta, Chardonnay, Macabeo, Alcañón, Riesling, Pinot Noir, Gewürztraminer, White Grenache, and Sauvignon Blanc.
Despite all these treasures, the DOP Somontano didn’t have a clear and competitive positioning in the market, that’s why Essential MK began to work at mid 2021, to define a positioning, in a very structured work, that included:
- An initial and very completed desk research focused on knowing the sector and the main competitors.
- An online quantitative investigation with more than 2.000 people reached, with specific wine knowledge, wine consumption and demographic characteristics.
- Some workshops with several wineries and the Consejo Regulador team, to define the Brand Positioning and the Brand Strategy, using tools such as the Blue Ocean Strategy and the Twelve Archetypal categories.
- A qualitative investigation in different cities, with different targets, in order to check and test the new positioning.
- More workshops to define the Communication Strategy, according to the new defined positioning, and the qualitative results.
This process finished in December 2021 with a very clear and distinctive positioning, that was presented in a Brand Manifesto, that summarizes our positioning in an aspirational way:
¿Quién dice que está todo escrito?
¿Quién decide si el mundo es grande o pequeño?
Que no merece la pena salirse del camino.
Que lo mejor es hacer lo que hacen todos.
Y no llevar la contraria.
¡Ilusos! No es rebeldía.
¿Por qué tiene que haber una única forma de hacer las cosas?
¿Quién lo dice?
Los que prefieren que todo siga igual.
Los mismos lugares. Las mismas horas. Los mismos gustos.
Vivir a veces es buscar el camino más fácil… O no.
Si vas a reír, ríe. Si vas a llorar, llora. Si vas a amar, ama.
Y si vas a hacer vino… haz el vino que llevas dentro.
Porque nuestra denominación de la vida está llena de intensidad.
Está llena de contrastes.
Como trabajar quince variedades de uva en un terreno único.
Nuestra denominación de la vida está llena de naturaleza…
La que nos permite convertir en placer todo lo que nos ofrece la montaña.
Está llena de matices…
Nuestra denominación está llena de personalidad.
Y no… no vamos a dejar de compartirla.
Denominación de Origen Protegida Somontano.
La denominación para una forma de entender la vida.
And, in January 2022, we started working on an advertising audio-visual element to become the centre of our TV and Press Ad campaign, with the following objectives:
- To increase the visibility of the DOP Somontano in those communities of greatest strategic interest at this time: Aragón, Madrid and Catalonia.
- To differentiate ourselves from other DOs by gaining a competitive position from our new positioning.
- To involve our campaign target, in the relationship with the DOP, with our wineries and our territory.
- To try to be considered as a clear option so that, at the time of purchase, one of our wines is chosen…
- Without doing what everyone else does or buys.
- With personality.
- And so that not everything remains the same.
- To show the wine that we carry inside, that of this denomination of life that is full of intensity, of contrasts, of 15 grape varieties, in a unique terrain where nature turns everything that the mountain offers us into pleasure.
We combined an offline TV campaign at regional level, with a VOD Digital TV players campaign in those most strategic areas, and a Social Media campaign on Instagram and Facebook addressed to our different targets, with several spots: 4 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute and 5 20 seconds versions.
The campaign began on March the 15th and it is planned to finish by March 2023.